Friday 1 May 2015

Knitted Swirly Stool Covers

I was very excited to receive the summer Johnnie b catalogue through the post last week, and catch a glimpse of my lovely hand knitted swirly stools, that I made just before Christmas.



To make the stools, once I'd bought the wool, I knitted a test swatch, and counted how many stitches there were per inch. Then I measured the circumference of the stools, and worked out how many stitches it would take to knit all the way round. 

I divided this by 8, as there were 4 sections of each colour, got out my circular knitting needles, and got knitting. I had 8 balls of wool, and had to keep twisting the wool between colour changes, so as not to get any holes in the knitting, so used a round tray as a sort of knitting lazy Susan, to keep the wool from getting too tangled. 


Once I knitted enough height for the edge of the stool, I then started to decrease, by one stitch, per colour section, every other row, creating this fabulous, perfect spiral, heading into the middle. 


I love them! For these, I used John Lewis Chunky Merino Blend wools, and used about 2 balls of each per stool. 


These are definitely going on the list of things to make for me in the future!! So satisfying to knit!!




No comments:

Post a Comment