Tuesday 7 October 2014

Double Sided Knitting

I'd seen a few items recently which seemed to be knitted but double sided....so I decided to investigate!

It turns out that this is a real thing, and fairly easy to do. I found some really easy to follow instructions (complete with pictures) here: http://knitting.about.com/od/colorknitting/ss/Double-Knitting.htm and so set about having a go.


As you can see, I used 2 very contrasting coloured wools to make it very clear which one I was supposed to be knitting, but once I got into it, it was very easy to keep alternating, and the knit one, purl one just seemed like I was knitting a rib. 


The reverse - see no pink at all (apart from at the edges). It's very neat, but fairly slow as each row takes double the amount of time to knit that it normally would. 


I'm still not 100% sure what I would actually use this for, but it was good fun having an experiment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment