Wednesday 14 September 2016

Custom Dress for my Mum's 60th

I wanted to get something special for my Mum's 60th, but it was almost too much pressure, and I didn't know what I should get her! So in the end I promised to make her a dress, in any fabric, any style, perfectly fitted to her.

Straight away, my Mum knew exactly what she wanted - a dress in the same shape as a Boden favourite she has, but in the fabric that I had used to make myself a dress, which I wore to my Grandma's 80th last year.

So first things first, I went back to the shop that I bought the fabric from last year, and they had sold out!! Never to re-stock again! Argh!! Luckily they realised that they had packaged up the end of the roll, so I happily bought the 3m pack, even though I only really needed 1.5m - I was just so relieved to still be able to get the fabric!


Making the pattern was fairly easy, I just laid the dress down that Mum wanted me to copy, and made a pattern using baking parchment. I then made a toile, out of rough fabric, so that I could fit it to Mum and make any adjustments before moving onto the real fabric. 

I rarely line dresses that I make for myself, as I usually buy fairly bright fabric which is not see through, and also because it's a lot quicker not too (terribly lazy - I know) but Mum would never dream of wearing a dress without lining, so I made sure I worked out how to add a lining too. 

The chosen fabric is just beautiful - it's a lightweight cotton lawn, with a delicate flower print, and is just perfect for summer. 


And here is the finished dress - worn in Portugal where my parents are currently on holiday! Doesn't she look beautiful! And the fabric looks great with a tan! I am so proud!


No comments:

Post a Comment