Thursday 4 February 2016

Handmade Clothes Week

I was given the challenge, last week, of wearing at least one item of hand made clothing, every day. Now this is not too hard a challenge for me, as I do have quite a lot of clothes that I've made myself, but they are more summery items, and I was setting up for our school play last week, so on some days got pretty hot and covered in dust!

Anyway, I accepted the challenge, and here are some photos...


Monday - Handmade Skirt
I made this skirt a few years ago, from a piece of fabric from a bag that I got from a charity shop. The fabric had a few moth holes, so I had to design an item around where the holes were! It has a wide elastic paper bag style waist, which is really comfy, and is knee length, so good for school!


Tuesday - Handmade T-shirt & Handmade Dungarees
I was quite pleased to be wearing double handmade today! This spotty T-shirt is really old, I made it at uni as a mock up for a real item I made. At the time, this spotty black and white jersey fabric was on sale, and so I think was the cheapest jersey in our local fabric shop! 

I made this dungaree dress last weekend, after feeling that I'd made enough things for others for the moment and have been having urges to make things for me! I based it on another dungaree dress that I have, and this one is made from black needlecord, with big shiny buttons, and also sits on the knee. 


Wednesday - Fun Animals Dress
I made this dress last year, after spotting this fabric in one my local shops, and absolutely having to buy it! It is a beautiful cotton lawn, with lots of animals all over it, and slightly quirky, as some have boots on, and others have suitcases. It has a ruched waist, and fun clock buttons down the front, which I bought a few years ago in a market in France. 


Thursday - Double Handmade again!
Today it was freezing! And as I was wondering around outside quite a lot, I also wore my new knitted hat for a lot of the day. I knitted this in January, after I received some beautiful wool for Christmas. I found this stitch on a knitting blog, and thought it was fabulous (I will post the pattern later!)


I also wore my brand new denim chambray dress. I also made this last weekend, when I'd had the urge to sew for me #selfishsewing. This dress has tie shoulders, and a wide elastic at the waist, so is very comfortable, and is based on a design I've had in my head for a very long time. 


Friday - Chevron Sun Dress
And then it was Friday. This was the last night of our play, so I had to dress up a bit. I wore one of my favourite dresses, that I made a while ago, after discovering a beautiful new fabric shop down the road from my house, and I love it. I have worn it so so much! To make it fancy, I teamed it with a navy sparkly jumper, and I was very pleased with how it looked!


I love wearing clothes I've made myself, as it means that are different to anything else I see anyone else wearing, and also they fit me perfectly! I often find that shop bought dresses are too short, which is not suitable to wear at school, so I love making my own, so that they can be exactly the length I want!



No comments:

Post a Comment