Sunday 28 February 2016

Carrot & Oat Cookies - UK recipe

I had an urge last week, to make carrot & oat cookies. I quite often get an urge to bake, but will usually be in my pyjamas and very unwilling to leave the house (even though we have a few supermarkets within a minute walk of the house!!) and so will do a sweep of the cupboards and fridge to see what I have, and then try to find and tailor a recipe to what I have in the house.

Last week, I had a huge bag of carrots in the fridge, and an unopened bag of oats in the cupboard, and not much else in the way of interesting baking ingredients, and so I thought that carrot oat cookies would be a tasty, healthy (?) baking treat!

Unfortunately, all the recipes that I could find were American, and I just don't get all this 'cup' measuring.

In the end, I gave up with trying to search for an English recipe, picked an American on, and got busy translating.

So here is my recipe (also slightly adapted to what I had in the cupboards!!)

170g of butter or baking spread (I used Stork)
50g of dark brown muscavado sugar
125g of castor sugar
*note that the recipe called for 175g of brown sugar, but I used what I had in the cupboard, and though they were fabulous!
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
250g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
300g porridge oats
150g grated carrot
milk, to add until it makes a slightly sticky dough


1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees (180 for a fan oven, and lightly grease a couple of baking trays.

2. Beat the butter and sugars together until smooth and creamy. Add the beaten egg, and vanilla extract and beat well.

3. In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda, and nutmeg. Stir into the butter and sugar mixture until well mixed.

4. Fold in the oats and carrots and add the milk until it forms a sticky dough.

5. Drop mounds of dough, around 8cm in diameter onto the baking tray, and flatten with the back of a spoon, until they are about 2cm high.

6. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are lightly browned.

7. Eat!!! Mmmmmm!


No comments:

Post a Comment