Thursday 21 November 2013

Double Pointed Knitting = Argh


This is not my knitting. This is what I though of double pointed knitting. Even though I really wanted to learn, and the concept seemed quite simple, I was terrified of the thought of Double Pointed Knitting. 

As someone who is only a fairly recent knitter, grasping increasing and decreasing seemed like a massive achievement to me, enabling me to follow more difficult patterns and make shapes. So I've been happily knitting away, knitting hats, elephants, anything I take my fancy to really. But all the time aware of the fact that I have a beautiful set of shiny new unwrapped bamboo double pointed knitting needles sitting next to me on the shelf in my living room. Which given the size of my living room (2.25m wide) means that they are never very far away from me. 

So last night I took a deep breath, I googled, I got out my fabulous retro 'Good Housekeeping Guide to Knitting', I you-tubed and went for it. I tried to knit a flat circle on my double points. The first attempt was awful. I didn't even have a change to take a photo of my congealed mess before it fell from the needles. Fail. But I tried a different wool and started again, and after a few slipped stitches (the middle is quite messy) I got there. Below is my attempt. Not bad. I'll see how I get on with an actual pattern. So watch this space. 


No comments:

Post a Comment