Wednesday 22 May 2013

Bias Binding

I love bias binding. It finished off things so neatly, adds colour, texture, pattern and is just so satisfying to sew on. I got this broderie dress a few months ago, hoping for some Spring sunshine, but when I went to look at it last week, I decided that I wasn't so keen on it any more, and that it needed some work.


When I had been to one of the fabric shops on Goldhawk road last week to buy some bias binding to make some Midsummer Night's Dream bunting which had been ordered, I noticed this gorgeous red and white softly striped bias binding, and stupidly, decided not to buy it. Although as an afterthought, it was probably a good idea as I would have got on with customising my dress rather than finishing my order, which I needed to get done.

But as I don't live very far away, I went back today and bought a few metres of the bias binding, a bargain at 50p per metre.



The dress initially had buttons down the back, but I decided that aside from being very fiddly to do up, I prefered them to be down the front. So I altered a few seams to adjust the shape slightly so that it worked being work back to front from its intended direction, and then got to work with the bias binding.

I think garments being manufactured on a large scale would have the binding sewn on in one go, both sides at a time, but I always always sew mine in 2 parts. I firstly sew the outer side, on the inside so you can't see the stitching, and then either hand sew the inside, or then top stitch the inside side on. As I said before, I just love the neatness of the binding and the perfectly neat edge it gives to a garment.



So this is the finished effect. I love it! Instantly more exciting. I am still undecided about putting binding around the neckline as well - I like how it looks at the moment, but then I'm not sure if it needs the neck binding as a final touch. Maybe I'll wear it a few times and then make a decision. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment