Wednesday 5 June 2013

The Wool House

I love wool. I love knitting, felting and just the texture and colours you can get even in natural wool. So I was very excited when in March, a friend sent me a link to an exhibition in Somerset House called ‘The Wool House’.
 




In the exhibition, each room had a completely different theme all centred around the use of wool. One was really sumptuous and ornate with tapestries and Persian rugs, another was a child’s playroom, full of bright colours, and bold graphic shapes, another was completely natural, using sheepskin rugs and hand knitted throws, all in lovely muted creams and greys and another had a really Scandinavian feel to it, with layers and layers of block coloured felt, all cut away to show the colours underneath.




Finally they had a room with a weaving loom and a knitting class where everyone was sitting around, at different levels of knitting, all with plenty of people around to give advice and teach new skills. The whole place was mesmerising. I could have wondered around it for hours, and I think the photos help to give a much better idea of the exhibition that my descriptions could.





No comments:

Post a Comment