Sunday 24 February 2013

Cake & Other Good Breakfasts

This morning I woke up and had an urge to bake fairy cakes for breakfast. So I did. There is nothing better than freshly bakes cakes out of the oven, and when they've got blackberries, red currants, strawberries and black currants in them then that seems healthy enough to make them suitable breakfast food.


The fact that I added pink butter cream icing and jelly beans may have detracted slightly from this way of thinking, but they were delicious and as I said, anything straight out of the oven can't be ignored!

As I was baking them, alone in the kitchen as it was early on a Sunday morning, I was thinking about breakfasts and who decided what we should eat for them. It's all the norm to eat toast or fruit or cereal but why. Who said we should only eat those things?

(Early morning pizza in Mwanza, Tanzania after catching the overnight ferry across Lake Victoria)

I'm a big fan of eating cold leftovers for breakfast and some dishes taste so much better when cold the next day, as if all the flavours have had a chance to soak in to eachother properly. When travelling as well, I always seem to find that Pizza finds its way onto my plate for breakfast and why not? Sometimes all you crave at the point of waking up is pizza, and if you happen to find a pizza restaurant open and serving pizza at that time in the morning then why not?

(Another early morning pizza in Lusaka, Zambia after being on a train for 56 hours....)

Especially when we were travelling through Africa and would often only have one or two meals a day, we weren't going to waste a meal on only eating a banana and toast, especially when bread was always so disappointing. I wish more places served pizza for breakfast here....maybe it will catch on one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment