Monday 7 February 2011

Why I love Buttons...

Why do I love Buttons...well that's a hard question and the answer would probably look something like: Because...

There is no one reason. I realise that to most people they are something useful which occasionally fall off your clothes and get lost but to me there is something magical about buttons. It is almost like they have a story to tell and I am very selective about where my buttons from my collection end up. I would never want to waste a button.

So it all started when my Granny gave me her button tin many years ago. Inside there were many buttons that I recognised from some of her dresses and these instantly conjure up memories...of seeing the dresses hanging up in her wardrobe and playing hide and seek amongst them, or out on a walk in the sunshine. Others were just old, a bit musty but they were all a bit used, rough around the edges and wonderful to run your fingers through. So many clothes today have cheap small buttons on them that when you find fantastic, worn, leather and wooden buttons, it is such an exciting feeling.


There are spare buttons I have from outfits, which are still attached to the labels, and buttons like this one which came from a selection from a Charity Shop. I haven't found the right destination for this red button yet as it just emanates love. Somebody cared enough to save this button and label it for the future which just emphasises my point that buttons are full of memories.


My button collection right now fills 2 round tins and one glass jar. I am always buying buttons, from markets, charity shops, anywhere I find exciting ones, but I am always using them. I will add some pictures of recent projects below, showing that they aren't just for sewing on clothes...





This dress was given to me by a friend who had bought it and then decided it was a bit boring and she probably wouldn't wear it. My first thought was also 'it's a bit grey' but now with a bit of lace, ribbon and a few buttons, I love it!! As most of my friends would say - It's suitably Amyfied!


No comments:

Post a Comment