Tuesday 4 February 2014

Double Pointed Knitting Challenge Complete

So after my attempts at double pointed knitting a few months ago, I finally took up the challenge to knit something properly with double pointed needles. A friend who is expecting asked me to knit a baby hat in case they have a girl, and gave me the boy option they'd already bought to use as a guide.

I know that I could have knitted it on straight needles but I thought it would be much nicer for the baby if it didn't have any seams which is why I persevered with double points.




After starting once and automatically switching into knitting all stitches, I had to start again remembering that I wanted a rib stitch for the brim. After about 10 rows I then decided that my 3.75mm needles were too big so switched to 3.25mm needles which worked much better. 



With the hat completed, I then started on some ears, again using double points which did get pretty fiddly as I'd only cast on 16 stitches!!


 After stitching on some eyes, a nose and a mouth, here is my finished hat - pretty cute I think! And below is the original 'boy option' which I was using for a guide, also pretty cute! Now I wonder which one she'll have...?



No comments:

Post a Comment