Monday 1 October 2012

All Things Green and Beautiful

I've been having a bit of a love affair recently with spinach. As a child I refused to eat spinach if it was called spinach as I declared it to be slime. However, my clever Granny used to call it holly and I would happily eat up my holly if it was put on my plate as I thought it was really hardcore and cool to be able to eat something so prickly!

I was given a soup cook book for my birthday by my house mates and one of my favourite and most cooked recipe from the book is a spinach and coconut soup - absolutely delicious!

I have made it many times, sometimes with chilli to give it a Thai style soup edge, sometimes with potatoes to make it really thick and creamy, but mostly just as it is as it is scrumptious.


When I haven't got any coconut milk in the house, I have been making a few variations on green soup, with spinach still as the main ingredient. I find spinach just makes you feel better at just the thought of eating it, it exudes goodness, and especially after an exciting weekend with a fair amount of drinking, I feel spinach is absolutely the best thing to be eating to make myself better and keep going for a weeks work.

To make it an ultra healthy soup, I quite often go for a green theme and put in anything I have in the house that is green. As one of my colleagues said today...'ugh - what are you eating' ...it may look like slime, but it tastes fabulous and very, very healthy!

The latest green concoction contains a red onion and vegetable stock cube, as the base soup ingredients, and then also contains spinach, peas, broccoli and celery! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment