Sunday 19 February 2012

Patchwork Quilt - Somewhere in the middle...

So I'm now halfway through making my patchwork quilt and it's going pretty well. I decided that instead of backing it with just a plain piece of fabric, I would make it patchwork on both sides, but the reverse in a different colour way, so that I could flip it over depending on my current duvet choice, and which mood I felt best suited me at the time.

For the reverse, I chose a selection of pale blue and white fabrics, picking a small spot, a large spot, a check and a stripe.


I love the look of this and it will look beautiful when it's all combined with the pinks, and sewn together. 

I started by sewing the pink side to the wadding, and then sewing this side to the wadding as well. I then commenced the diagonal stitching. However, this did NOT go well! As I tore the fabric into strips before cutting it into squares, I think some of my squares are slightly skewed and so do not lie perfectly flat. 

Note to self: Next time, cut out the squares, don't rip them. 

Anyway, so after a disastrous first attempt, and a lot of unpicking, I've now started just sewing the pink side to the wadding, in lovely diamonds, and this is going very well!


Shouldn't be too long before I'm finished! I can't wait to see the final piece!! Although I really needed it for last week when it didn't go above freezing for the whole week - in fact we found one small patch of snow still remaining in Hampstead Heath today so it still must be pretty cold, and definitely still the right time for an extra quilt!!

No comments:

Post a Comment