Wednesday 6 July 2011

Excuses & Other Random Stories

I've never actually phoned in sick to work. Well apart from when I nearly broke my ankle in a trampolining competition and was on crutches, but I've never skived off. I just don't think I could phone and make a reason without laughing or just sounding really fake. Even if I was genuinely ill.

However, I think I'm quite good at coming up with good excuses for other people to use when phoning in sick, or giving excuses not to meet someone or do something. My current favourite was a friend was hated her current job and had got an interview to be an accounts manager for Tetley Tea. She was planning on saying that she had a migraine (boring) or her washing machine had leaked (too common) but I said she would say that she had got her hand stuck in a tea pot and it was her housemates favourite antique teapot so she couldn't just smash it to get it off so had to go to hospital to get it removed. So unbelievable that it instantly becomes believable as they would think 'how could she ever make that up?'. Sadly she went for the migraine option, but I bet they knew she didn't really have one and was just skiving.

When I was travelling last year, I did get a little fed up of constantly going through the 'Hi, my names Amy, I'm from Bristol' spiel every time I met someone new, which was pretty often and towards the end of my trip I started to make up some new identities. These are a few of my favourite new jobs....

  1. I am a carrier bag tester. Well someone has to text their durability and it is very important to know how many pairs of shoes you can fit in one bag. My role included strict adventures such as travelling along a high street with a list of things to add to my carrier bag.
  2. I am the youngest ever female train driver for British Rail. This one was actually believed by quite a few people as I do get quite excited about trains...until I met an Aussie Train Geek and he caught me out by asking loads of technical questions about them...which I couldn't answer.
  3. I am a Button designer. I wish....

No comments:

Post a Comment