Tuesday 19 March 2013

Downsizing, But Upgrading

Last week I moved house to a very lovely new little house. It was a massive downsize, and I moved from one of London's Royal boroughs, to an area described as somewhere best to avoid, other than to go to the shopping centre, but it is still definitely an upgrade.



I used to live in a 12 bedroom mansion in Kensington, complete with garden, private balcony, drying room and cleaner which makes it sound amazing. Unfortunately, add in about 19 other people, and the fact that the person in the room above got up very early and was very noisy, and it doesn't sound so appealing. It was also a former old peoples home, and so had a lot of very dated furniture, and panic buttons in every room, although I think this only added to the charm. On another, slightly strange note, one of the previous tenants had been a carpenter and so had added lots of shelves and cupboards and things to any room he had stayed in. He had also built a bed in a cupboard in the basement, in what was affectionately called the 'Fritzl chamber'. Charming.


So much as I loved the space and the classy location, I wanted to move somewhere a bit smaller, with many many fewer people. In looking for a 1 bed flat my my boyfriend, we found what I can probably safely describe as the smallest house in London. People think I am exaggerating when I say this, but I think the garden is bigger than the house. One of my friends who has a bedroom in a flat in Clapham has a bigger room, than our whole house.

Our lovely little kitchen

My beautiful 'study' area

Cosy little living room

But I love it! I love the fact that we have a whole house, with 4 whole rooms, and it's all ours, and we don't have anyone to be noisy above us, and equally, we don't have to worry about being too noisy for our neighbours either. It's perfect, and I love it! Definitely worth downsizing for, as it is a massive upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment