Sunday 27 January 2013

A Whole Lot Of Pants

Recently, my room has been full of pants. Not because I haven't been doing any washing, but because I bought lots of pants. About 80 pairs to be exact. This wasn't just a random extreme shopping spree, but I was commissioned to make a lot of pants themed things for a shoot today so stocked up on a lot of kids pants to make them.


The first thing I had to make was a pants themed quilt! I cut all the pants in half to make a crazy patchwork style quilt and kept adding them in to make it into a large rectangle. This looks really cool but where the pants have binding around the top and the legs they were really thick and my sewing machine was not particularly happy to sew through such thick layers!!
 

I had 3 packs of different designs, each in 7 different colours so I had to arrange them carefully to make sure that there weren't any of the same colour next to each other, and make sure they fitted in in the best possible way. 


When I brought it into the office though to send off to the shoot, the person who asked me to make it said to me genuinely seriously 'oh that's amazing....we should use that in a shoot you know' As if I'd just made it for fun???


I also made some pant bunting, and I sewed each pair of pants slightly into a triangle so that they didn't just look like pants hanging on a washing line! 


Finally I made some pant flags and some pant hats, using thin wire to make them stand up and look cartoon like. These were all used in a kids shoot on Friday so hopefully I'll get to see the final pictures tomorrow which I am very excited about!

No comments:

Post a Comment